October 31, 2005

The Sony Balls

Guess you have already seen the new spectacular spot from Sony made by Fallon with the 250.000 bouncing balls in the streets of San Francisco.

In my opinion it’s the perfect case for what a modern marketing campaign should contain for several reasons (sorry for the almost fan-like argumentation):

First and foremost it’s allegedly a great product (this review gives it 5 out of 5 stars and call’s it “a rich and powerful image”).

The client/agency/production company relation seems to have been profoundly collaborative build on trust and playfulness according to interviews with the director Nicolai Fuglsig and the Fallon creative Juan Cabral (I can’t find the link to the article)

There is clever pre-launch strategy with this “behind the scenes” web-site and a massive viral distribution of the content

It is sticky and highly infectious communication and works in both traditional and non-traditional media. First it hit the big blogs in the ad community, and more importantly is has created consumer buzz and transcended into popular culture as here with pictures on Flickr.

There is even a bit of the so-called open source creativity or co-creativity here (where the Sony has wisely been inviting everybody to take photos and film from the shoot in modern junction with the rules of “creative commons”)

And then the campaign messaging itself (obviously we have only seen the Online and TV stuff yet – I hope it is also going to include other intelligent media solutions – maybe a version of the film for video podcasting) it has a tonality of honesty and authenticity and (it is even done without tricks or computer graphics).

It’s build equally on strong insights on the product and into the consumers and their quest for imagination and almost infantile playfulness when it comes to technology.

It’s not building a formulaic brand concept but is rather embracing the magical complexity of colours. It has nuance and depth and leaves something behind for one’s own imaginary perception. It’s simply great communication that works as Velcro.

See the different versions of the film here.

21 comments:

Web Site Advertising said...

---> rockad <--- you post on The Sony Balls is certainly interesting. I am creating my own site and have been searching for valid information and content on Web Site Advertising to link to. I hope you don't mind if I link to you. By the way, great title ---> Rock'n'roll & Advertising

Anonymous said...

Nice blog with interesting topics. I have a website that offers alot of controversial topics here. Just go to the links page and look for "Video Reviews"

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed you blog about development disorder pervasive. I also have a site about development disorder pervasive which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a free safelist submitter site/blog. It pretty much covers free safelist submitter related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for offering this great service to learn about eminem like soldier toy. I have a website about eminem like soldier toy which makes me very interested in what you have going here. I think I am going to start up my own blog so I can spread the news! Thanks you are offering this great service!

Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a business lead list mailing software site/blog. It pretty much covers business lead list mailing software related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a design design promotion site site site tutorial web web web websiteownerworld.com site/blog. It pretty much covers design design promotion site site site tutorial web web web websiteownerworld.com related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Dokdo Island said...

hello
offers or buyers
These days trade business much easier since internet development.
On net, we can find well made trade portal site.
In fact, those cool sites help your trade business.
How many countries? what kinds of products?
Yes, we can not count.
Around the world, someone looking for your products, and a company
want to import your goods.
Trade portal site become huge marketplace so it called "emarketplace."
How many emarketplace do you know.
Which emarketplace do you recommend.
I am proudly tell you the emarketplace "buykorea.org"
You may not buy korea, but you can buy and sell what you want.
Buykorea.org trade service managed by kotra(un profit trade agency)
http://www.buykorea.org
Your marketing budget will be save and business increased.
Check what do you want to know about

Johnny said...

Every online business need free traffic. This free traffic handbook is very update and helpful.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a katrina safelist site/blog. It pretty much covers katrina safelist related stuff. Plus you can advertise to billions using our katrina safelist tools.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

I like your blog, and will add it to "my favorites". I am new to blogging, but not new to car clubs. I have furnished custom made car badges to dozens of car clubs all over the country. I have a web site that I feel you will find both interesting and informative. Please pay me a visit when you have time.
**car clubs**america bmw car club

Editor Choice said...

Nice Blog. Will comeback!
Here a site on Car Rental:
Car Rental, Cheap Car Rental, Discount Car Rental, Limousine Rental, Luxury Car Rental. Available for many destinations: Chicago Car rental, New-York Car rental, London Car rental, Paris Car rental, Rome Car rental, Boston Car rental and much more

Anonymous said...

free web site submitter

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Ultimate Marketing site/blog. It pretty much covers marketing related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

sent Straight to your Inbox for your Convenience, you wont have to Search the Internet day after day...

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Ultimate Marketing site/blog. It pretty much covers marketing related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Call toll FREE 1-866-602-6411 for more info.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a business gift site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your nice site. I have a increased web trafficsite. It covers increased web traffic related things.

Anonymous said...

if u want an ipod, you can go to www.getipodsforfree.com and do an offer. follow the instructions and they'll actually send you a freeipod, no joke, there's reviews all over the internet

Tony said...

I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Very interesting.

My marketing concept viral site has lots of info pertaining to marketing concept viral.

Come visit sometime :)